UDG'S PERFORMING ARTS COMPLEX CONTEST
AR. ALEJANDRO APONTE GÓMEZ
AR. ROBERTO PEÑA RODRÍGUEZ
CENTRO CULTURAL UNIVERSITARIO DE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE GUADALAJARA.
The project is based on four premises:
1. The proposal should be easy to build, functional, economic and operative optimal, which commits us to bet more to the concept than the boast of materials.
2. Simple and powerful volumes that balance the dialogue within the spaces of the building and its public square.
3. Conceive the site as a meeting area, linking the common people to the performing activities.
4. That the whole is envisaged to host all the possibilities for drama; from the great operas to the most intimate theater or street theater word.
Three scenario bodies were placed in line, which are woven by a large rectangular courtyard, sheltered by a horizontal wall, this allows us to generate an extension of the square inside the building getting a parallel flow to the pedestrian street; thus a place of encounter that triggers the use of public theaters services is achieved. The largest theater stands in front of the square; is the main entrance, it breaks the corner of a large suspended body, giving it strength and scaling the access by the corner, surprising visitors with a stunning 26m height courtyard which host the building and link it to the background square while showing the vertical circulations.
The medium theater is placed at the center of the group; a side patio was set by to make special events related to the guests companies. The last volume is the studio-theater that allows flexible use whit mobile seats and stage. The body is opened to develop multiple ways to transform and diversify the stage proposal.
The central square is the space of ordinary people, taking advantage of the services core to the public relating them to the different activities of the theater. It is mostly open to install cafes, snack bars and related retail. Contained in an elongated body, one side when facing the pedestrian avenue works as marquee to present the activities of all the performing arts and the other side serves to introduce the variety of commerce.
The entire service area of the stage is organized linearly in an intermediate building between the props volumes; this allows the activities and services for the forum to be closely linked to the development of the activities.
The location of the bodies embraces the relationship “square-library-corner-pedestrian walkway” and also the synthesis of the flows into four types:
1. The flow of the common people walking by the place or visiting the center, consisting of double circulation, one is diverted inside to force a path through the service street and the second for the pedestrian walkway that is located outside the center but accompanying the pedestrian by a horizontal wall; that promotes the theatres activities.
2. The flow for theater use is linearly linked to the three theaters and relates the access and public depart.
3. To the space flow for special events, patios have been placed between the theaters, separated from the central axis, enabling relieving events without interfering with the main flow.
4. Buildings services flows are related to the operating system of the center optimizing the tasks in a very simple way, since it relates the flow of services of artists, technicians, administrative and support staff in the theaters without interfering with other circulations.